Make Every Day Count...
Leah Quintana (2/18/98 - 2/3/06)

We set up this blog back in '06 to share our thoughts and a bit of Leah. We update it once in awhile... there are photos, Leah stories, and other stuff in the links... Lots of love to you all, Susan, Rick and Andrew

2/11/06

Letter 2/8/06 from Susan, Rick & Andrew


Leah Camille Quintana
2/18/98 - 2/3/06
Although this has been an unreal, surreal, unbelievable tragedy, Leah’s life was so full and happy. We are overwhelmed with all of the love and support we’ve felt and received from all over – from our families and friends (and Leah’s friends), neighbors, customers, coworkers and from strangers. We were helped through last week by so many and now by so many more.

Leah’s passions and experiences made her life so full and happy. She was independent and curious, creative and experimental, sweet yet spunky, sharp and clever, funny and goofy, fearless and strong, friendly and caring.

She was an artist, a friend, a sister, a daughter, an inventor, a shining star, and our muse. She never wanted help and said “I can do” to everything starting at 2. She always popped in with “Can I help?” when something needed fixing, gravel needed shoveling, ingredients needed mixing, or pancakes needed flipping… but never when something needed cleaning! (for that, she required an inventive game)

Two of her passions were our two cats Pekoe and Fizz. Occasionally, the cats didn’t feel the same way about her when she played a bit too roughly or pestered them mercilously. She adored them, wrote about them, and often incorporated them in her artwork. Her passion for gymnastics was intense yet enjoyable and she loved being with her team. She always had a smile on her face even during conditioning….being upside down was often preferred and was as natural as right side up. So many other things she loved -- piano, ice skating, cooking, and drawing.

In the past days, we’ve found ourselves craving those things that made us crazy or made her unique: Leah emptying the shampoo bottles, poking holes through bars of soap, dragging her hair through her food, putting her elbows on the table, drawing on furniture, removing the heads from her Barbies, taking forever to get ready in the morning and for bed, her particular eating habits -- refusing to eat breakfast or insisting on tuna or beans for breakfast, only eating food without specks of color or spices. She knew right from wrong and knew our ‘family rules’, but the power of her drive and strong-will often took over.

We will always remember the things that made us laugh: speaking martian talk, her laugh, her routines, the way she twisted like a pretzel while we read to her at night, her jokes, how she continued spraying whip cream after we said ‘stop’, her tactile nature that drove her to touch her food and coat her hands with yogurt, and the way the paint always ended up covering her hands and arms.

In Leah’s last days, she showed her fighting strength and continued to win the hearts of many. The paramedics and fire fighters were so quick to her rescue and whisked her off to SF General Hospital, one of the best trauma centers in the country. Her team of doctors and nurses were amazing, incredible people who fought for her every step of the way, kept hope, and aggressively tried everything possible to keep her alive and bring her back to us. They taught us so much and showed so much compassion for Leah and for us. In the end, there were complications not choices – and in the end, Leah brought life to others.

Leah fought hard as she always did and would want us to keep her in our hearts and remember her bright, happy passion for life. She will live on in our memories and will watch over and provide us with strength.

All we ask is that you let Leah bring a smile to your face... Always remember her, feel her smile and happiness, and make every day count.

14 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan and Rick, your letter is so beautiful, a wonderful portrait of a special child. I will come back to the pictures often to be reminded of her engaging smile. Thanks for creating the blog so we can share in her memories. Love, Diane

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan and Rick and Andrew,
I think constantly of your words and of Leah, as you described her. Although I never met her, I know Susan, she had your strength, and kindness, and humor and calm..... from your words and pictures. Your words - "Make every day count" - make me scared yet inspired to give as much love as I can, as you did. I like many others are forever changed.
Love, Laura

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Susan, Rick, and Andrew

I know what it's like to feel saddness and loss. My grandma who I was close with died when I was young. Andrew, I hope we can meet again. Also, if you have any questions on what it is like to be an only child now, e-mail me at Buckaro95@AOL.com.

Take care,

Your friend,
Jared Kaplan-Pucker

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, Rick and Andrew:
I met Leah once a few years ago when we were shooting for PBKids in your house. She must have been two at the most.
The two things that have stuck in my mind over the years, even before this terrible tragedy, are:
When Leah came home from a trip to the park or maybe from school with her babysitter, Susan, you said "Hi Leah!" with such happiness and enthusiasm, it was as if seeing Leah was the best thing that had happened to you all day.

There was a picture on your wall with a nice, tidy picture of a toddler with the word "Leah" written under it (obviously drawn by you, Susan), and a big, scribbly, toddler-ish picture with the word "Mommy" written under it. I went home that night and did the same fun picture with Jack, who was also about two at the time. That picture, inspired by you and Leah, hung in my gallery for a long time. Funny how all toddler portraits look kind of alike!

I left your house at the end of that week thinking it must be such a fun house to grow up in. All the kid art on the walls, and the cute little attic-y room that was Leah's.

I think about you constantly and this sad event has reminded me to cherish even the things about my children that make me shake my head, but define who they are.

Hugs to all three of you.
Laurie Furber

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Susan, Rick and Andrew,
Thank you so much for creating this wonderful webpage on Leah. I have read your beautiful description of Leah and I feel like I really know her now. She sounds like a fun-loving, energetic little angel that warmed your hearts everytime she was with you. She will be with you in spirit everywhere you go, forever and ever.
Susan, Rick and Andrew...there is not a minute in the day that the three of you are on my mind. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
I will come back to this blog over and over again to remember your darling angel.
With the sincerest thoughts,
Your friend,
Crunch, CU Buddy and Roommate
Kathy Petersen Paleczny
and Mike, Jack, Megan, & Peter

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, Rick, and Andrew,

I teach at Servite High School with Elsa Quintana-Gibbs. When she shared with me the tragic story of Leah's death, I felt an enormous sense of sadness for all of you. I do not have any children, but I do have 31 neices and nephews, and I can't imagine how I would handle/accept one of them passing away,like Leah, at such a young age. Yes, I'm a total stranger to you, but please know that you have been and will continue to be in my prayers.

Eileen McCoy

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Rick,Susan and Andrew,

Thank you for sharing Leah with all of us. Your letter is as beautiful as your precious little girl. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily. We will keep Leah in our memories and in our hearts always.
Love, Elsa,Rick and Alex

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dearest Quintana Family, You truly are a blessed family with many wonderful memories of your daughter who will live forever in your hearts. Just know that there is a reason why she was brought into your life for such a short time. Keep her spirit alive and know that you still have your son to continuing life with. My prayers and blessing to all of you.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Quintana Family,

I did not have the pleasure of knowing this beautifully described child but share these brief thoughts. Although her life was relatively brief, it sounds as though she brought all whom she knew and met a richness through her joys. Cherish those wonderful experiences she brought always.

Sincerely, anonymous

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Susan, Rick and Andrew,

Thank you for sharing so many beautiful thoughts and pictures of your lovely family. Leah was and is an inspiration to all those who knew her. I wish I had. I feel blessed to know your family and I am so touched by your spirit. My thoughts are with you.
With Love,
Kathy Battat

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Quintana Family,
I keep her card in my purse and am reminded daily to celebrate life ~ I hug my girls more, I 'yell' less... even though we only met her once at the PTS dinner, she has had an effect on our lives... Thank you for creating this blog, so that we can all show you how much she means to us, too...

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, Rick and Andrew - There are no words to express the sorrow I feel for your loss. So precious and so vital. She will always be one of my girls. Love, Nancy

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Susan, Rick and Andrew,

Leah's loving spirit remains with us at CCLC. We will continue to speak of Leah's contageous laughter and her energy. All of us at CCLC love Leah and Andrew. The Quintana's will always be in our hearts and prayers, especially Leah and Andrew. There isn't any words that can make things better, but knowing how blessed we all are to have had time with Leah is comforting. If there is anything at all we can ever help Andrew and your family with, we're only a phone call away.

Love,
Sylvia Xuereb
Burlingame Area Director
Childrens'Creative Learning Centers

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Susan, Rick And Andrew,

I come back to this blog from time to time and is reminded of what a wonderful little girl Leah was.It is wonderful to come back here and read about her and see her cute pictures.

Her picture is on my fridge and I look at her almost daily. It reminds me to make every day count.

I know this month is hard for you since it is 2 years since you lost Leah. You are in my thoughts constantly.

Love,
Vibeke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home